Mound, Thatch, or Field - Same Ant

Friday July 27, 2012


Mr Pest Control


I have a problem with black mound ants at a school in Central NY. Could you please let me know the best choice of product and application methods? I have heard that you are to dig up the mound and place granules and mix it up few times and apply more granules. This is the first time I have dealt with mound ants.

Mr Pest Control


Mound ants are also referring to as Thatch, Thatching, or just Field ants, and most of them are in the genus Formica. They are large ants superficially similar to carpenter ants but with a distinct dip in the top of the thorax, whereas carpenter ants  have a thorax that is evenly rounded over the top. Thatch ants cannot sting, but they can bite, and once they create a little bite wound may spritz some formic acid onto that point to cause a stinging sensation. They almost alway... Read more

Register now for Premier Services to get instant access to all of Mr. Pest Control's in-depth answers!

Read Complete Answer Register Now Ask a Question Add to My Favorite Questions Back  |  View Past Questions  |  View Questions by Category  |  Share on Facebook  |  Share on Twitter

Please note, Mr. Pest Control is answering questions supplied by PMP customers across North America. His answers are generated from industry and manufacturer-provided information. The answer may not be specific to the laws and regulations for your State, Province, Territory or Country. In addition, products mentioned may not be registered and or available in all areas. Always check with your local Univar office for specific information to your area. Always read and follow label directions.

Sponsor Ad